Sunday, February 10, 2008

Praying at the Capitol

On January 14, I was asked to give the benediction prayer at the inauguration ceremony for Bobby Jindal, the new governor or Louisiana. Governor Jindal and one of his staff members have previously visited our church. I introduced him to the congregation and gave him a chance to give a short talk. To the amazement of many of us he stayed to hear Doug Klinedinst preach that morning.

Several months ago, some attack ads were being run on local television portraying Governor Jindal in a light that I felt was totally untrue. I was asked during that time to join in on a conference call with the governor and a number of other ministers in the state. The governor was very appreciative and attentive to the advice that was given to him during this conference call. I was just honored to be a part of the call. I wrote a letter to the editor of the Shreveport Times to refute these ads and was surprised when the paper printed my letter.

Early in January of this year I received a call from a man named Daniel Kirk. Daniel said that he was from Bobby Jindal’s staff and said that the governor was requesting that I pray at his inauguration. Having pulled my share of practical jokes on people I immediately assumed that this was a prank and ask Daniel is this was a joke. He laughed and said no. Of course I was honored and immediately said yes. My son Ryan drove me down and took some pictures for me. Somehow he managed to get into one of the television media booths and stayed for the entire ceremony. Dr. Fred Lowry, the pastor of First Baptist Church in Bossier prayed the invocation, and Mickey Mangun, sang the National Anthem.

Praying at the Governor’s Inauguration on the steps of the Louisiana State Capitol was an exhilarating experience. Here I was, seated on the platform with our new governor and his family, four past Louisiana governors, all of the other state officials who were to be sworn in that day, two sitting United States senators, all the current U. S. congressmen from Louisiana, Rick Perry, the governor of Texas, and a host of other dignitaries. C.B.S. sports analyst Tim Brando, was the Master of Ceremonies.

I smiled to myself as I waited for the proceedings to begin and remembered my humble beginnings. I could not help but recall all of the insecurities I faced as a child and the Obsessive Compulsive Behavior that I battled as a boy until God healed me. I must confess that some insecurities linger until this day. I was thinking, wow, if Randy Barnes and Dickie Dee Mohon could see me know. I almost laughed out loud. I was greatly humbled by this experience felt like Mary, the mother of Jesus must have felt when she said, “He hath remembered my low estate.”

When Tim Brando announced that Jerry Dean, pastor of The Pentecostals of Bossier was coming to pray the benediction prayer, the Lord strengthened me and a wave of Holy Ghost boldness came upon me. I had previously been asked to write down my prayer, which I want to do anyway. Following is a copy of the prayer I prayed on January the 14th at the governor’s inauguration.

Inauguration Benediction Prayer - Governor Bobby Jindal
By Pastor Jerry Dean - January 14, 2008

Our Father who rules in the heavens, we pray on this momentous day that Your matchless name Jesus will be hallowed in all the earth.

We praise You for the blessings you have freely poured out upon our state and our great nation. You are great and greatly to be praised.

Solomon taught us that Righteousness exalts a nation; we pray therefore that you will lead the people of this state in the paths of righteousness for Your Great names sake.

Keep us from temptation and deliver us from evil.

Oh Lord, If you kept a record of sins who could stand before you? We praise you greatly because with you there is forgiveness. So as we forgive others, we ask you to forgive us our failures and our shortcomings.

Let Your kingdom to come and let Your will be done on earth as it is done in heaven.

The prophet Daniel tells us that You change the seasons and guide history. You raise up kings and also bring them down. With this knowledge, we understand then and believe that You have brought Governor Jindal along with each of these elected officials to their respective places of leadership and we believe that You have raised them up to serve this state.

We are also aware of the timeless words of wisdom from King Solomon who said, “The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.” With this knowledge it is incumbent upon us today to stand before you as did that ancient King of Judah and declare, “Oh Lord, Our eyes are upon you.”

For Governor Jindal, his family, his staff, and for all the leaders of our great state we petition you and ask that You give each of them wisdom to know how to direct the affairs of men.

We do not asking for earthly wisdom which only gives way to jealousy and selfish ambition. Rather, we ask for the wisdom that comes down from above that is pure, and peaceable, and gentle, and full of mercy.

We believe that one man, with God, can make a difference. Lead Governor Jindal as he leads our state. Give him understanding according to Your Word and order his steps in Your word.

Teach him to trust in You with all of his heart and lean not to his own understanding, to acknowledge you in all of his ways so that you will direct his steps.

We look to You Father, on this special day for Your divine sanction and approval. You have shown us what is good; and what You require of us, that is to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with You? We ask for Your grace to fulfill these requirements.

Now Lord God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause Your face to shine upon us.

We ask these things in the Name of Jesus Christ,

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the opportunity...

God Bless....rks

Anonymous said...

I was happy to discover that you have posted the prayer you prayed at the Inauguration and cannot tell you how "sanctified" proud you made myself and many others that day...I am confident that included the Lord himself!

During his campaign stops, Bobby Jindal was in service with us at New Life Tabernacle in Metairie, where he also spoke and remained for the entire service, even lingering afterwards to actually talk with the people.

His message was sincere as he spoke of his own relationship with God and how he believed he was being led to this position. In our hearts we also felt it.

Thank you for being such an anointed leader for the Kingdom of God and our United Pentecostal Church Organization as a whole.

The words you spoke, no doubt, had God's anointing and we truly believe God's Will was done that day!